Request for Commonwealth assistance forms
If you are a Commonwealth supported student, or if you are requesting commonwealth assistance, you must complete and lodge your request for Commonwealth assistance form (CAF) online prior to the census date of the first teaching period of your course enrolment.
You must lodge a new CAF when:
- starting a new course, or
- transferring to another course (including and internal course transfer).
There are different forms for different types of assistance:
Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP
- Submit this form online through My Student Admin if you have a Commonwealth supported place, regardless of whether you intend to pay your tuition fees upfront or defer, otherwise you will have your enrolment cancelled. You will not be able to enrol into any subjects until you have submitted this form.
Request for FEE-HELP assistance
- Submit this form online through My Student Admin if you are a domestic full fee paying student who is eligible and wishes to access FEE-HELP.
Request for SA-HELP assistance
- This form will be available in early March. You can submit this form online through My Student Admin if you are an eligible student and you wish to access SA-HELP.
A correctly completed HECS-HELP form must be completed by a Commonwealth Supported student before enrolment can be completed. You should lodge your CAF online (eCAF) through the "Govt. Assistance" menu in My Student Admin.
- If you have lodged your eCAF correctly, it will have a status of Approved. You will then be able to enrol into subjects.
- If any of the details on your eCAF are incorrect or do not match the data in the student system, it will have a status of Submitted by Student. If this occurs, please check the details you submitted and resubmit the form. If the details are now correct, the form will be automatically Approved.
- If your form is still not approved, please contact your Student Centres or 'ASK UTS' for assistance.
You should check My Student Admin to determine the outcome of your lodged CAF, allow a few minutes for the CAF to be processed.
Tax file Numbers (TFN)
- Any student requesting a HELP loan (HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP) must declare a valid tax file number on their CAF.
- If you do not yet have your TFN, you can still lodge your eCAF by choosing the "Full upfront payment of my student contribution amount" option. When you receive your "Certificate of Application for a TFN" from the tax office, submit a copy of it to your Student Centre. You will then be eligible to defer your tuition fees, however, you still must advise UTS of your TFN as soon as you receive it from the ATO.
Common errors when submitting an eCAF
- Incorrect course chosen (jpg 40kb) when submitting the eCAF. Your course will have a status of Admitted or Offered and have the latest attempt.
- Incorrect type of Assistance form (jpg 70 kb) selected. CSP students should select the Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form.
- Incorrect date of birth or gender entered (jpg 60kb). Your date of birth must be in the format of DD/MM/YYYY. For gender, please ensure you select the correct radio button.
- Incorrect citizenship status selected (jpg 55kb). Make sure you clearly indicate if you are an Australian citizen or have a Permanent Resident Visa (PR). If you are a PR, you must also indicate whether this is a humanitarian visa or not - usually this is a "No"
- No TFN supplied (jpg 49kb). If you have not supplied a TFN then you must choose the Full upfront payment of my student contribution amount option.